– Catalanstrophe – 81% Of 2.25 Million Voters Choose Independence; Government Responds: “Useless Sham” (ZeroHedge, Nov 9, 2014):
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has a problem. Despite his best legal and propoganda defenses (and harsh weather conditions) today’s symbolioc vote for Catalonia independence proceeded… and the initial results (with 88% of the vote counted) are in:
- *TURNOUT IN CATALAN BALLOT WAS ABT 2.25 MLN, GOVT SAYS
- *81% BACK INDEPENDENCE IN CATALAN BALLOT
The Spanish government is saying the “data is not valid” and is investigating the illegal ballot calling it a “useless sham.” Catalan President Mas says pro-independence parties will meet this week to put pressure on Madrid.
Catalan President Mas speaks…
- *MAS SAYS PARTICIPATION IN CATALAN VOTE WAS VERY HIGH
- *MAS SAYS CATALAN HAS SAID IT WANTS SELF-GOVERNANCE
- *MAS SAYS REACTIONS IN MADRID HAVE BEEN CONTROVERSIAL
- *MAS SAYS HE REGRETS RAJOY’S SHORT-SIGHTED REACTION TO VOTE
- *MAS SAYS CATALANS VOTED IN HARSH CONDITIONS
- *MAS SAYS CATALONIA HAS THE RIGHT TO DECIDE ITS POLITICAL FUTURE
- *MAS ASKS INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY TO PRESSURE SPAIN ON VOTE
- *MAS SAYS PRO-INDEPENDENCE PARTIES DUE TO MEET THIS WEEK
- *SPANISH PROSECUTORS INVESTIGATING CATALAN POLL AFTER COMPLAINTS
- Prosecutors probing possible criminal wrongdoing in conduct of ballot, according to e-mailed statement.
- *RAJOY’S SPOKESMAN SAYS CATALAN TURNOUT DATA NOT VALID
- *RAJOY’S SPOKESMAN SAYS MAS’S ATTITUDE NOT HELPFUL FOR TALKS
As Xinhua reports,
Spanish Minister of Justice Rafael Catala said on Sunday that the ballot held in the northeastern region of Catalonia on its independence was a “useless sham.”
The Spanish government said that the ballot was antidemocratic, useless and has no legal effects.
* * *
One more thing…