TONY Blair received £400,000 from a fund for disadvantaged children to set up an office in a five-star hotel.
Prime Minister David Cameron revealed the money came from the Department for International Development (DfID) and is meant to fund humanitarian work in developing countries.
But it was spent on rooms at the exclusive American Colony Hotel in Jerusalem, where Mr Blair spends one week a month in his role as peace envoy to the Middle East. The 19th century hotel near the old city of Jerusalem is one of the most exclusive in Israel. A suite costs £550 a night.
The cash was paid in 2007 as Britain’s contribution to Mr Blair’s work representing the EU, America, Russia and the United Nations.
David Amess, Tory MP for Southend West, said: “The DfID should not be giving him money. It should be spent on the world’s poor.”
Mr Blair’s office was unavailable for comment.
Monday May 9 2011 by Giles Sheldrick
Source: The Express
The peace envoy to the Middle East in Action:
– Freemason Tony Blair Makes £710,000 From Mysterious Web of Companies, Made at Least £20 Million Since Leaving Downing Street (Telegraph)
– Secret Tony Blair and George Bush Iraq letters were kept out of official records – Details from Blair’s Iraq calls were deleted (Telegraph/Independent)
– Traitor And War Criminal Tony Blair Summoned Back to Iraq Inquiry to be Quizzed Over New Evidence (Guardian)
– Former Head of The Army General Sir Richard Dannatt: How Tony Blair and Gordon Brown Betrayed Our Troops (Telegraph)
– Iraq inquiry: UK Government lied, ‘intentionally and substantially’ exaggerated WMD threat (Telegraph)
– Tony Blair Was Warned By All 27 Senior Government Lawyers That Iraq War Was Illegal (Daily Express)
– Tony Blair ‘knew Iraq did not have WMD before war started’ (Times)
– US and UK knew that Iraq Didn’t Have WMDs
– Dutch Inquiry: Iraq War Was Illegal, Had ‘No Basis In International Law’ (Guardian)
– Confidential memo between Bush and Blair reveals US plan to provoke an invasion of Iraq (Observer)