The killing of an innocent sleeping Palestinian man mistaken for a Hamas leader:
– Israelis shoot dead sleeping elderly Palestinian (Daily Star)
JERUSALEM — Israeli warplanes launched twin air strikes on the Gaza Strip overnight in response to rocket and mortar fire from the Hamas-controlled territory, an army spokesman said on Monday.
The strikes targeted “centres of terrorist activities, which have been hit”, said the spokesman, referring to projectiles fired from Gaza over the weekend.
Israel considers the Islamist Hamas movement as the only organisation responsible for the firing of the missiles “even if it does not claim responsibility,” said the spokesman.
In December 2008, Israel launched its devastating “Operation Cast Lead” into the Gaza Strip in response to rocket and mortar fire.
The 22-day war, which ended in a ceasefire on January 18, 2009, killed 1,400 Palestinians, mostly civilians, and 13 Israelis, 10 of them soldiers.
In its wake the number of Palestinian attacks dropped significantly, although 230 rockets and mortar rounds were fired at Israel during 2010, according to army figures.
Right wingers in the Israeli government called on Sunday for tough military action against Gaza militants after a violent weekend on Israel’s border with the Palestinian coastal enclave.
“The government must consider afresh a policy of zero tolerance, exert a heavy price, not let this situation deteriorate,” National Infrastructure Minister Uzi Landau told journalists at the weekly cabinet meeting.
“It needs to stop,” added Landau, from the ultra-nationalist Yisrael Beitenu party.
The military said two rockets had slammed into southern Israel on Sunday, one shortly after midnight and a second later in the morning, bringing the number of rockets and mortar rounds fired across the border this year to 20.
On Saturday, three people on an Israeli kibbutz were wounded, two of them seriously, by mortar fire from the Gaza Strip, for which the militant group Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility.
That followed a border firefight between militants and Israeli troops on Friday in which an Israeli soldier was killed by so-called friendly fire.
Israel has so far responded to nearly every instance of projectile fire with air strikes on the Gaza Strip.
Jan. 10, 2010
More on Israel:
(Click on image to enlarge. Can’t show this often enough.)
– Mossad Agent ‘Brought Down Egypt’s Internet’ (Telegraph)
– Gilad Atzmon: Jews, Judaism and Jewishness (Gilad Atzmon)
– Israel: Work Begins on Egypt Barrier (Reuters)
– Gaza War Lies Vs. Facts (YouTube)
– Influential Rabbi Ovadia Yosef: Non-Jews Are Donkeys, Created To Serve Jews (Jerusalem Post)
– Israel Paves Way For Remote Control Killing (The National)
– Exposed: The Truth About Israel’s Land Grab In The West Bank (The Independent)
– Robert Fisk: The Truth Behind The Israeli Propaganda (Independent)
– President Abdullah Gul: Turkey will ‘never forgive’ Israel (Al Jazeera)
– Israeli soldiers murder at least 10 civilians on boat carrying aid to Gaza (Los Angeles Times)
– Gaza Aid Flotilla Delayed After Mystery Faults Hit Two Boats (Independent)
Dr. Alan Sabrosky, former director of studies at the US Army War College says that the military brass now know that Israel “and those traitors within our nation” committed the 911 attack.
……”I have had long conversations over the last two weeks with contacts at the Army War College and the headquarters, Marine Corps and I’ve made it absolutely clear in both cases that it is 100% certain that 9/11 was a Mossad operation.” Period.
– Israel Threatening To Use Nuclear Weapons On Iran! (FOX NEWS)
– Palestinian children are stoned while walking to school (Christian Peacemaker Teams)
– U.S. shipped 989 munitions containers to Israel week before Gaza invasion (Australien Herald)
– Israel’s war crimes in Gaza (Independent)
– Did Israeli soldiers kill unarmed civilians? (Toronto Star):
‘The most moral army in the world’ killed civilians without cause
– Israeli soldiers report abuses in Gaza (Los Angeles Times)
– Gaza building apparently hit by phosphorus: UN (Vancouver Sun)
– Israel used phosphorus in heavily populated areas, doctors charge (Kansas City Star)
– Israel shelled UK war graves in Gaza (Telegraph)