– Spot The Total Logic Fail (ZeroHedge, Sep 29, 2014):
It appears the leadership in Spain has reached its panic-point. Following Catalonia’s President Artur Mas signing of a decree calling for an ultimately democratic referendum on independence for the region, Spanish Prime Minister Rajoy uttered this mind-numbing phrase:
- CATALAN VOTE PROFOUNDLY ANTI-DEMOCRATIC, RAJOY SAYS
It appears Rajoy’s perspective on democracy and the will of the people is a little different as the situation has become serious enough that he has gone full-Juncker.
“Catalonia wants to speak,” he said after signing on Saturday. “Wants to be heard. Wants to vote. Now is the right time and we have the right legal framework to do so.”
The referendum’s two questions
“Do you want Catalonia to be a state?”
“If so, do you want Catalonia to be an independent state?”
Soon after the decree was signed, the Catalan hash tag EstemConvocats9N (“We called it for 9 November”) became the highest trending topic on Spanish Twitter.
Until recently, few Catalans had wanted full independence, but Spain’s painful economic crisis has seen a surge in support for separation, correspondents say.
There is resentment over the proportion of Catalan taxes used to support poorer regions.
And Rajoy is clearly concerned…
- *CATALONIA GOVT HAS TAKEN UNILATERAL DECISIONS, RAJOY SAYS
- *SPAIN TO CHALLENGE CATALAN INDEPENDENCE VOTE, RAJOY SAYS
- *CATALAN VOTE WON’T HAPPEN, IS AGAINST CONSTITUTION: RAJOY
- *CATALAN VOTE IS AGAINST RIGHTS OF SPANISH CITIZENS: RAJOY
Then followed that up these 2 stunners!!!
- *CATALAN VOTE PROFOUNDLY ANTI-DEMOCRATIC, RAJOY SAYS
- *LAWS CAN CHANGE THROUGH DEMOCRATIC MEANS, RAJOY SAYS
- *CATALONIA STILL HAS TIME TO CHANGE COURSE, RAJOY SAYS
- *DIALOGUE OVER CATALONIA MUST RESPECT THE LAW, RAJOY SAYS
- *CATALONIA’S MAS MUST COMPLY WITH THE LAW, RAJOY SAYS
So in summary:
1. The Catalans want to exercise a right to democratically vote for their independence.
2. But Spanish PM Rajoy say a vote is anti-democratic and against the law
3. And then adds that laws can be changed through democratic means… (like voting for independence?)
Lost in translation?