Estonia, who lead the current European Union Presidency, has called upon other EU Member States to increase their Internet censorship, following in the footsteps of Communist China, according to a leaked document.
“A Council of the European Union document leaked by Statewatch on 30 August reveals that during the summer months, Estonia (current EU Presidency) has been pushing the other Member States to strengthen indiscriminate internet surveillance, and to follow in the footsteps of China regarding online censorship,” reported European Digital Rights (EDRi), an international advocacy group. “Standing firmly behind its belief that filtering the uploads is the way to go, the Presidency has worked hard in order to make the proposal for the new copyright Directive even more harmful than the Commission’s original proposal, and pushing it further into the realms of illegality.”
ESTONIA’S government has collapsed after prime minister Taavi Roivas lost a vote of no-confidence on Wednesday.
The EU member state’s falling government is now expected to be replaced by the traditionally pro-Russia Centre Party following the collapse.
– Estonia Fears Being “Overrun By Russia In Minutes”, Sweden Sends Troops To Baltic Sea Island (ZeroHedge, March 13, 2015):
“Gotland is a big worry for us. It could be overrun by Russia in minutes and then all of us would be highly vulnerable to an attack,” warned one politician recently as it appears NATO fear-mongering and Russia sabre-rattling is having a significant effect on many of the Baltic Sea’s border nations. As The FT reports, Sweden will put troops back on the strategic Baltic Sea island of Gotland after a decade-long absence and will also step up military exercises around the island involving the army, navy and air force. “Hunting submarines is a priority area,” Sweden’s defense minister explained, adding that “everything we do is a part of underlining Swedish sovereignty.”
– US and British army parade 300 yards from Russia border (Telegraph, Feb 25, 2015):
American armoured vehicles and British soldiers parade through Estonian border city of Narva, as tensions between Russia and the West continue to escalate
US army vehicles and British soldiers paraded through the streets of an Estonian city just 300 yards from the Russian border yesterday, in a display of Western unity against the encroaching threat from Moscow.
Armoured vehicles from the US Army’s Second Cavalry Regiment and British troops were officially taking part in a military parade marking Estonia’s Independence Day, but the choice of location was deeply symbolic.
The city of Narva sits in the easternmost part of Estonia, where the country’s border juts out into Russia, and has been cited as a potential target for the Kremlin if it should turn its attention from Ukraine to the Baltic states.
A majority of the city’s 60,000 residents are ethnically Russian.
– “Putin Destroyed The New World Order”, According To Estonia’s President Ilves (ZeroHedge, Jan 15, 2015):
On the heels of Russia’s decision, as we reported here, to “increase [their] combat units in accordance with the new military doctrine,” particularly focused on Crimea, NATO responded with threats/promises of more military drills and patrols. Having used their airspace but condescended their perspective as “hysterical,” Estonian President Toomas Hendrik Ilves is calling for much stronger NATO presence as he rages that “the world order found after the Cold War has been destroyed,” by Putin.
– “Megablizzard” forecast for eastern Australia (Ice Age Now, June 23, 2014):
“Best snowfalls in a decade.” Maybe the “storm of the century.”
– Aleutian volcanoes waking up (Ice Age Now, June 23, 2014):
Five volcanoes now simultaneously active, the most activity in 26 years.
– Record snowfall in Norway (Ice Age Now, June 23, 2014):
First time since records began that snow has been recorded in June.
– Surprise Snowstorm Clobbers Rockies (Ice Age Now, June 23, 2014):
June 20, 2014 – “A bizarre June snowstorm hit Glacier National Park in Montana and parts of Utah and Idaho this week,
– Confirmed – Earth’s protective magnetic shield is weakening (Ice Age Now, June 22, 2014):
The most dramatic declines are occurring over the Western Hemisphere, says European Space Agency.
– Poland, Estonia exercises part of plan to increase presence in eastern Europe (Stripes, April 19, 2014):
STUTTGART, Germany— A small contingent of U.S. soldiers will deploy to Poland and Estonia for a series of upcoming ground exercises aimed at reassuring allies shaken by Russian intervention in neighboring Ukraine, according to a report.
The U.S. is planning to send a company sized Army element of roughly 150 troops to conduct drills with allies, spanning roughly two weeks respectively in both Poland and Estonia, The New York Times reported Friday.
– More Americans Go Hungry Than All But 2 European Nations (ZeroHedge, April 8, 2014):
Since 2007, when the financial crisis touched down across the world, the proportion of people going hungry in Europe has soared, according to the OECD. As Bloomberg’s Niraj Shah notes, the number has doubled in Greece alone from 8.9% in 2007 to almost 18% currently unable to afford food. Across the European Union, the proportion of people going hungry ranges from 4.6% in Germany to over 30% in (ironically) Hungary. However, before one gloats at the weakness in Europe and the cleanest dirty shirt the US pretends to be, at 21.1% of Americans unable to afford food, only Hungary and Estonia are in worst shape…
USA USA USA…
Source: @economistniraj via Bloomberg Briefs
– Has The World Gone Mad (Again)? (ZeroHedge, March 18, 2014):
A few select headlines from the day that made us, well, wonder…
- OBAMA’S GOAL IS FOR RUSSIA TO STEP BACK IN CRIMEA, LEW SAYS (hope and change?)
- CHINA SHOULD LOOSEN RESTRICTIONS OVER HOME PURCHASES: SEC. NEWS (but, but, but the reforms?)
- DONETSK GOVERNOR (AND BROTHER) HAD MOAT DUG OUT ON RUSSIAN BORDER (and filled with crocodiles?)
- BEIJING TO SPEND 20M YUAN TO CHANGE WEATHER TO CUT SMOG: DAILY (winning the war on weather and hence the economy)
- PUTIN SPOKESMAN SAYS UKRAINE FORCES MUST CHOOSE SIDES: BBC (hhmm, tough decision)
- FLAHERTY SAYS DECISION TO LEAVE POLITICS WAS NOT RELATED IN ANY WAY TO HIS HEALTH (just being pissed off)
- CARNEY SAYS LOW RATE ENVIRONMENT IS CONDUCIVE TO COMPLACENCY (and water is wet and we’ll keep doing it)
- IRS INFORMS EMPLOYEES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION DATA BREACH (shame really)
- UKRAINE FAILS TO SELL DEBT AT DOMESTIC AUCTION: FIN MIN. (but TSLA did – shoulda sold stock)
- BANK OF CANADA’S POLOZ SAYS HARD TO BELIEVE THAT RECENT ECONOMIC SOFTNESS IN CANADA IS ALL DUE TO THE WEATHER. (wait what?)
- ESTONIA’S PRESIDENT ILVES SAYS EU RESPONSE “SHOULD NOT BE ABOUT THE PRICE OF GAS” (what else is there?)
- U.S. TREASURY CORRECTS TICS DATA RELEASED EARLIER TODAY (#Ref/0)
- KERRY SAYS PUTIN SPEECH “DIDN’T JIBE WITH REALITY” (YouTube reality?)
- UKRAINE MAY SEEK COMPENSATION FOR CRIMEA ASSETS: PETRENKO (we don’t recognize it unless you pay us?)
- MERKEL SAYS NO CHANGE IN RUSSIA G-8 STATUS FOR NOW (nope, they’d have to really cross the red line)
- RUSSIA FELT ROBBED BY BREAKUP OF SOVIET UNION, PUTIN SAYS (uh oh)
- CYPRUS OPPOSES MORE SANCTIONS ON RUSSIA: FOR’N MINISTER (RIK) (just capital controls is good)
- SUGA: WILL DEAL APPROPRIATELY WITH PUTIN’S PLANNED JAPAN VISIT (umm what?)
- PUTIN: RUSSIA WILL NEVER SEEK CONFRONTATIONS IN WEST, EAST (fingers crossed?)
- JAPAN HALTS TALKS WITH RUSSIA ON VISA ISSUANCE (and nobody cared)
- WHITE HOUSE CARNEY “I WOULDN’T IF I WERE YOU” INVEST IN RUSSIA (what do you think of TWTR?)
- JAPAN DISPLAY STARTS TRADING 15% BELOW IPO PRICE IN TOKYO (shoulda IPO’d in USA)
- VIETNAM DELAYS SOME BAD DEBT CLASSIFICATION UNTIL APRIL 2015 (will all be fixed by then)
- SUGA: ABENOMICS WILL WITHOUT DOUBT LEAD TO ECONOMIC REVIVAL (yep no dooubt about it)
Has the world gone totally mad?
And then there’s this:
- Fed Tightening May Begin Sooner Than Thought: Hildebrand in FT (not holding our breath)