UNRWA spokesman Johan Eriksson told the British Broadcasting Corp. via phone from Jerusalem that he had just spoken to the agencys boss in Gaza City, who confirmed to him that at least three shells containing white phosphorus hit their sprawling compound.
Spent shells prove Israeli use of white phosphorus, Gaza doctors say (Times)
Fire is raging inside our compound. It is inside a mechanical workshop, Eriksson told the BBC, adding that shipping pallets loaded with humanitarian aid were also on fire inside the compound.
Firefighters cannot do anything. White phosphorus has landed and these fires cannot be put out, said Eriksson. Three people inside the compound are injured so far.
Added: 15 January 2009
– Israel Strike Hits U.N. Complex in Gaza Strip (New York Times)
– Fighting in Gaza Intensifies as UN Chief Holds Talks in Israel (VOA News):
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon has strongly condemned the Israeli shelling of the U.N. headquarters in Gaza City.
– Gaza: Israeli troops reveal ruthless tactics against Hamas (Times)
– Israel accused of Gaza ‘genocide’ (Al Jazeera):
The president of the UN General Assembly has condemned Israel’s killings of Palestinians in its Gaza offensive as “genocide”.
– Israeli soldiers say they have OK to use tough tactics in Gaza (McClatchy)
– Iran warns Israel over aid ship interception (Press TV):
A senior Iranian commander says if Israel continues intercepting humanitarian aid for Gazans, Iran will adopt an alternative approach.
– EU parliament urges halting relations with Israel (Middle East Online)
– Venezuela cuts ties with Israel over Gaza attacks (Reuters)