Woman Enters Fukushima No-Entry Zone, Collapses And Dies

Woman who entered caution zone had sudden death (Fukushima Diary, Mar 19, 2012):

Around 11:00 on 3/20/2012, ambulance was called for. The woman (50s) who entered caution zone in Namie machi to take out heavy equipment fell down. She was sent to a hospital in Minami soma but died on 13:00.
She entered the caution zone, but went to the toilet to claim she felt sick suddenly and lost her consciousness there.


Woman in Her 50s Dies Inside the No-Entry Zone in #Fukushima Prefecture (EX-SKF, Mar 20, 2012):

There is no information whether she was the former resident of Namie-machi, but I think it is likely.

From Kyodo News (3/20/2012):


A woman who entered the no-entry zone died in Namie-machi, Fukushima

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

At 11AM on March 20, there was a 119 call [equivalent of the US 911 call, for ambulance for medical emergency] that a woman in her 50s collapsed in Namie-machi in Fukushima Prefecture. Namie-machi is designated as “no-entry zone”. The woman entered with a permit to remove heavy equipment out of the zone. She was transported in an ambulance to a hospital in Minami Soma City, but confirmed dead at 1PM.


According to the local headquarters for the nuclear emergency response, it is the first time someone other than the plant workers died inside the no-entry zone.


According to the headquarters, the woman entered the zone with her colleagues with a permit issued to businesses. She suddenly fell ill, and went to the bathroom, where she lost consciousness and collapsed.

Two questions:

  1. Why were they allowed to remove the equipment out of the no-entry zone to begin with? After more than one year, don’t they and the government know there are such things as radiation contamination?
  2. Why would they allow a woman to enter the no-entry zone?

Equal rights for women, I suppose. Since TEPCO is bringing female workers back to Fukushima I Nuke Plant, why not?

Namie-machi had extremely high levels of radiation in the first 2 weeks of the accident, and the residents weren’t told about it until months later. Asahi’s “Trap of Prometheus” says the Ministry of Education was measuring the radiation level in Akogi District of Namie-machi on March 15, 2011, and it was 330 microsieverts/hour air radiation. That would be over 55 millisieverts in one week, and there were people who remained in Namie-machi for more than a week, lulled by then Cabinet Secretary Edano’s word that “there is no immediate effect on health”.

Let’s see, how would people like Dr. Yamashita and Dr. Kimura going to explain the death?

She had a feminine stress.
She had an autoimmune disease.
She didn’t smile enough.
She drank and smoked too much.
Pure coincidence. There is no way that radiation affect anyone this fast.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.