– Pentagon raises security levels at all military installations on eve of 9/11 anniversary (Washington Post, Sep. 7, 2011):
The Defense Department raised security levels Wednesday at all military installations in the continental United States in advance of the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, the Pentagon announced.
George Little, the Pentagon press secretary, said the decision was not prompted by any specific terrorist threats but rather was a “prudent” acknowledgment that al-Qaeda leaders in the past have indicated a desire to strike again on Sept. 11. “The 10th anniversary was mentioned in the documents seized in the Abbotabad compound,” Little noted, referring to the May raid that killed al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden in his Pakistan hideout.
Little declined to elaborate on precisely what security levels had been imposed or how long they would endure. The request to raise the alert level was made by Gen. Charles H. Jacoby, Jr., chief of the U.S. Northern Command, and approved by Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta.
Most overseas bases were already operating with higher security precautions, Little said.