Pakistan: Floods Spread Into Populous Punjab Region

Pakistan’s prime minister has demanded his cabinet speed up relief to 3.2 million people hit by the worst floods in 80 years as devastation spread when floodwaters surged into the south of the country.

Yousuf Raza Gilani, prime minister, told his cabinet to speed up relief work and try and estimate the financial scale of the damage.

Continuing heavy rain in the northwest triggered more flood warnings and some 15,000 houses were destroyed in the south as rivers carried the floodwaters into Pakistan’s Punjab province.

Survivors were facing starvation after four-fifths of food stocks had been washed away, the United Nations’ World Food Programme warned.

DEC launches Pakistan floods appeal

Punjab is Pakistan’s most populous area and contains nearly three fifths of the nation’s people. It is also holds swathes of farmland, earning it a reputation as the country’s breadbasket.

Flood waters receded in the worst hit northwestern province of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, but the area remained devastated by landslides and flash floods from last week’s record monsoon that dumped a foot of rain in 36 hours.

In southern Punjab more than 130,000 people were evacuated by the army, but fears for further casualties grew as many were stranded when they ignored flood warnings.

At least 1.1 million acres of crops have been destroyed in the Punjab agricultural heartland alone the National Disaster Management Authority said.

Read morePakistan: Floods Spread Into Populous Punjab Region

China’s Ministry of Environmental Protection: Pollution Makes 25 Percent Of Water Totally Unusable

‘Made in China!’


china_pollution-makes-25-percent-of-water-totally-unusable
Fishermen load bags of dead fish onto a forklift at the Mian Hua Tan reservoir in Yongding county, Fujian province, July 13, 2010. Credit: Reuters/China Daily

BEIJING (Reuters) – Almost a quarter of China’s surface water remains so polluted that it is unfit even for industrial use, while less than half of total supplies are drinkable, data from the environment watchdog showed on Monday.

Inspectors from China’s Ministry of Environmental Protection tested water samples from the country’s major rivers and lakes in the first half of the year and declared just 49.3 percent to be safe for drinking, up from 48 percent last year, the ministry said in a notice posted on its website (www.mep.gov.cn).

China classifies its water supplies using six grades, with the first three grades considered safe for drinking and bathing.

Another 26.4 percent was said to be categories IV and V — fit only for use in industry and agriculture — leaving a total of 24.3 percent in category VI and unfit for any purpose.

Read moreChina’s Ministry of Environmental Protection: Pollution Makes 25 Percent Of Water Totally Unusable

Peru: Deadly outbreak of bubonic and pneumonic plague

See also:

Peru Declares State Of Emergency Amid Freezing Temperatures, Hundreds Of Children Die

Peru overtakes Colombia as world’s leading producer of coca leaf, produces over 45% of coca in the world


An outbreak of bubonic and pneumonic plague in Peru has killed a 14-year-old boy and infected at least 31 people in a northern coastal province.

peru_deadly-outbreak-of-bubonic-and-pneumonic-plague
The plague outbreak is close to Chicama beach, a popular draw for tourists to Peru.

Oscar Ugarte, the health minister, said authorities were screening sugar and fish meal exports from Ascope province, located about 325 miles north-west of Lima.

Chicama beach, a popular draw for tourists to Peru, is not far away.

Mr Ugarte said the boy, who had Down syndrome, died of bubonic plague on July 26.

He said on Monday that most of the infections were bubonic plague, with four cases of pneumonic plague.

Read morePeru: Deadly outbreak of bubonic and pneumonic plague

Russia Declares State Of Emergy Emergency As Forest Fires Rage

russia-declares-state-of-emergy-emergency-as-forest-fires-rage
Residents look over the remains of their burnt-out home in Ostafyevo, 15km from Moscow, yesterday (AFP)

A state of emergency was declared in seven Russian regions yesterday, as authorities struggled to cope with forest fires which have been burning for a week.

A total of 34 people have died and thousands have been left homeless by the blazes, which have been prompted by one of the most severe heatwaves to hit European Russia in recorded history.

President Dmitry Medvedev referred to the fires as a “huge tragedy” yesterday, and said the state would do everything it could to help those affected.

“More than 2,000 of our citizens have been left without roofs over their heads,” he said. “Many families have been left with absolutely nothing at all.”

The army has been called in to help tackle the fires, which are expected to continue raging as temperatures show no sign of dropping. The state of emergency means that people will be banned from entering areas deemed at high risk for new fires. Many of the blazes have been sparked by discarded cigarette ends or barbecues. Mr Medvedev appealed to Russians to be extra vigilant.

“Much depends on our behaviour,” he said. “It’s difficult to be in the city – it’s hot and sweaty, and everyone wants to go to the countryside. But we need to be very attentive and careful here. Remember that a single match thrown carelessly can lead to irreparable disaster.”

In some regions of European Russia, whole villages have been burned to the ground by the fires. Late last week, Vladimir Putin, the Prime Minister, travelled to Verkhnyaya Vereya, where 337 of the village’s 341 houses have been destroyed. He spent time reassuring distraught residents, and promising that houses would be fully rebuilt before winter sets in. In some areas there have been complaints that local officials were too slow to respond to the fires, and many residents of Verkhnyaya Vereya told Mr Putin that their calls to emergency services went unanswered.

Read moreRussia Declares State Of Emergy Emergency As Forest Fires Rage

Argentina Has Colder Winter Than Antartica, Spurring Record Energy Imports

Argentina is importing record amounts of energy as the coldest winter in 40 years drives up demand and causes natural-gas shortages, prompting Dow Chemical Co. and steelmaker Siderar SAIC to scale back production.

Electricity supplied from Brazil and Paraguay rose to a daily combined record of about 1,000 megawatts on July 12, while consumption peaked at 20,396 megawatts three days later, according to Buenos Aires-based energy broker Cammesa. Shipments of liquefied natural gas are set to double this year.

Dow, Siderar and aluminum maker Aluar Aluminio Argentino SAIC are among companies closing plants, cutting output or seeking alternative energy sources after temperatures in parts of Argentina fell below those of Antarctica on July 15. Rising demand is exacerbating a shortage that began six years ago as economic growth accelerated and energy investment fell. The shortage is boosting costs as companies spend more to guarantee supplies.

“The situation is getting worse, because the shortage period is growing every year,” Gerardo Rabinovich, a director at the General Mosconi Energy Institute in Buenos Aires and an adviser to the opposition Radical Party, said in a telephone interview. “When this started in 2004, it lasted for about a week, then it was two weeks and now it’s more than a month.”

In July, temperatures in Buenos Aires were, on average, 1 degree Celsius below the usual low and high of 8 and 14 degrees (46 and 57 degrees Farenheit), with temperatures plummeting to about 2 degrees Celsius on July 15.

Read moreArgentina Has Colder Winter Than Antartica, Spurring Record Energy Imports

Judge Rules Virginia Can Continue Its Lawsuit To Stop Unconstitutional Obamacare

virginia-state-lawsuit-to-stop-obamacare

The state of Virginia can continue its lawsuit to stop the nation’s new health care law from taking effect, a federal judge ruled Monday.

U.S. District Court Judge Henry Hudson said he is allowing the suit against the U.S. government to proceed, saying no court has ever ruled on whether it’s constitutional to require Americans to purchase a product.

“While this case raises a host of complex constitutional issues, all seem to distill to the single question of whether or not Congress has the power to regulate — and tax — a citizen’s decision not to participate in interstate commerce,” Hudson wrote in a 32-page decision.

“Given the presence of some authority arguably supporting the theory underlying each side’s position, this court cannot conclude at this stage that the complaint fails to state a cause of action,” he wrote.

The decision is a small step, but in no way a minor matter to opponents of the health care bill rejected by all congressional Republicans but signed into law by President Obama earlier this year.

“This lawsuit is not about health care, it’s about our freedom and about standing up and calling on the federal government to follow the ultimate law of the land — the Constitution,” said Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, who brought the suit. “The government cannot draft an unwilling citizen into commerce just so it can regulate him under the Commerce Clause.”

“Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli has brought forward a specific and narrowly tailored objection to the Act. It warrants a full and thorough hearing in our courts. It is meritorious and constitutionally correct. … I look forward to the full hearing this fall,” said Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell.

Cuccinelli filed the suit almost immediately after the law was signed, arguing that it conflicts with Virginia’s legislation — also passed this year — exempting state residents from the requirement that all Americans be forced into health care coverage. Cuccinelli argued that the law violates the Constitution’s Commerce Clause.

The Commerce Clause allows the U.S. government to regulate economic activity. But Virginia argued that it’s not economic activity when someone chooses to refrain from participating in commerce.

Read moreJudge Rules Virginia Can Continue Its Lawsuit To Stop Unconstitutional Obamacare

Paul Craig Roberts on Chelsea Clintons’s Wedding: ‘Let Them Eat Cake’ – Where did the money come from?

US Department of Agriculture concludes that 50 million people in the US–one in six of the population–were unable to afford to buy sufficient food to stay healthy in 2008.”


Paul Craig Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the Treasury during President Reagan’s first term. He was Associate Editor of the Wall Street Journal. He has held numerous academic appointments, including the William E. Simon Chair, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Georgetown University, and Senior Research Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.

paul-craig-roberts
Paul Craig Roberts

It is not unusual for members of the diminishing upper middle class to drop $20,000 or $30,000 on a big wedding. But for celebrities this large sum wouldn’t cover the wedding dress or the flowers.

When country music star Keith Urban married actress Nicole Kidman in 2006, their wedding cost $250,000. This large sum hardly counts as a celebrity wedding. When mega-millionaire real estate mogul Donald Trump married model Melania Knauss, the wedding bill was $1,000,000.

The marriages of Madonna and film director Guy Ritchie, Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren, and Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones pushed up the cost of celebrity marriages to $1.5 million.

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes upped the ante to $2,000,000.

Now comes the politicians’s daughter as celebrity. According to news reports, Chelsea Clinton’s wedding to investment banker Mark Mezvinsky on July 31 is costing papa Bill $3,000,000. According to the London Daily Mail, the total price tag will be about $5,000,000. The additional $2,000,000 apparently is being laid off on US Taxpayers as Secret Service costs for protecting former president Clinton and foreign heads of state, such as the presidents of France and Italy and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who are among the 500 invited guests along with Barbara Streisand, Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey, Ted Turner, and Clinton friend and donor Denise Rich, wife of the Clinton-pardoned felon.

Before we attend to the poor political judgment of such an extravagant affair during times of economic distress, let us wonder aloud where a poor boy who became governor of Arkansas and president of the United States got such a fortune that he can blow $3,000,000 on a wedding.

The American people did not take up a collection to reward him for his service to them.
Where did the money come from? Who was he really serving during his eight years in office?

How did Tony Blair and his wife, Cherrie, end up with an annual income of ten million pounds (approximately $15 million dollars) as soon as he left office? Who was Blair really serving?

These are not polite questions, and they are infrequently asked.

Read morePaul Craig Roberts on Chelsea Clintons’s Wedding: ‘Let Them Eat Cake’ – Where did the money come from?

Genetic Apocalypse: The Genetic Integrity of The Human Race is Collapsing

dna_strand

(NaturalNews) The day will soon come that informed women will refuse to date, marry or have children with men who follow poor nutritional habits. “You eat junk foods? Put your pants back on and get out!”

You see, scientific evidence is mounting on the relationship between food choice and genetic integrity. Men who eat a lot of processed meats, fast foods and junk foods have low sperm quality. But it’s more than just an infertility question… it’s also a question of the transgenerational genetic integrity of his offspring.

A man who pursues an unhealthy diet, it turns out, not only increases the risk of numerous diseases in his direct offspring (cancer, diabetes, infertility, etc.), he also increases that risk for multiple generations of offspring.

This was recently demonstrates in a laboratory study conducted by Georgetown University Medical Center and presented at the American Association for Cancer Research (http://www.naturalnews.com/029198_c…) which showed that cancer risk attributable to the junk food fed to parent rats was passed through two generations even if the direct offspring ate a healthy diet.

In other words, for all you women out there, if you choose to have children with a man who’s eating junk foods, not only will your children have an increased risk of disease, but their children will, too! And that’s true even if your children follow a healthy lifestyle!

Now sure, if you’re not concerned about your family line, then just mate with anybody who can produce sperm — and there are a lot of those to choose from. But two, three or four generations from now, the sperm that you chose to combine with your own eggs may turn out to be a ticking genetic time bomb that ends your family line forever through DNA mutations leading to disease and infertility.

The genopocalypse

I call this coming wave of global infertility the “genopocalypse,” which of course means the “genetic apocalypse.” This is all explained in a video I recently posted on www.NaturalNews.TV which you can view at: http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=0985D…

The genetic integrity of the human race is collapsing due to exposure to DNA-altering toxic chemicals in foods, medicines, household products and personal care products. The cumulative toxic burden in first-world citizens has now reached such a high level of toxicity that genetic integrity may no longer be guaranteed from one generation to the next. Infertility rates are skyrocketing, and even when babies are born through infertility intervention clinics, they suffer far higher rates of genetic mutations and abnormalities than babies conceived naturally.

We are now watching the genetic migration of the human race. It is slowly transitioning to a race of infertile mutants who express very high rates of diseases like cancer and health conditions like infertility. No one knows whether genetic integrity can be recovered once it compromised. The very nature of gene inheritance leaves that doubtful.

The upshot of all this is that people who want a family future must be careful to choose healthy reproductive partners. Beyond the quality of the person you are deciding to have children with, you need to consider the quality of their eggs and sperm.

Watch out for damaged eggs

So far, we’ve talked about how women need to watch out for damaged sperm. But the good news for men is that sperm regenerates every few days, so by simply changing your diet right now, you can begin to produce healthier sperm a few days later. Switching to a healthy diet for 3 – 6 months can result in radically improved sperm quality.

For women, it’s a whole different story. Women, you see, are born with all the eggs they’ll ever have in their lives. Those eggs were formed as a fetus, and the health of those eggs is largely determined by the diet of the pregnant mom carrying the female fetus.

Read moreGenetic Apocalypse: The Genetic Integrity of The Human Race is Collapsing

Mexican Drug Cartel Puts $1 Million Bounty On Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s Head

sheriff-joe-arpaio

PHOENIX – He’s been at the center of the discussions and controversies surrounding illegal immigration enforcement in Arizona for quite a while.

On the day parts of Arizona’s immigration law, SB 1070, went into effect, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is in the news for another reason: there’s a price on his head – allegedly offered by a Mexican drug cartel.

The audio message in Spanish is a bit garbled, but the text is clear.

It’s offering $1 million for Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s head and $10,000 for anyone who wants to join the Mexican cartel.

Read moreMexican Drug Cartel Puts $1 Million Bounty On Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s Head

California: Police Destroy Marijuana Plants Worth £1.1 Billion In Farm Raids

police-destroy-marijuana-plants-worth-a11billion-in-california-farm-raids
Raids: 450 officers have been involved in Operation Trident targeting farms in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains

Marijuana plants worth £1.1billion have been destroyed on farms in California with links to Mexican drug traffickers.

More than 270 acres of crops were found during police raids involving 450 officers in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Ninety-seven people have been arrested over the past three weeks, most of them Mexican nationals believed to have ties with Mexican drug barons.

It is believed marijuana is increasingly being grown in the U.S. by Mexican cartels rather than smuggling it there.

Read moreCalifornia: Police Destroy Marijuana Plants Worth £1.1 Billion In Farm Raids