A large number of people in the Northeastern city of Raqqa took to the streets in opposition to the US troops’ buildup in their city, accusing the US military forces and their allied militants of destroying their city and also executing large groups of civilians.
The protestors vowed not to cooperate with the US troops, and warned that they will continue to show their disagreement with the US forces’ occupation and disintegration of Syria in demonstrations and strikes.
In a relevant development earlier this month, Syrian permanent representative to the United Nations Bashar al-Jaafari told the UN Security Council that the US-led Coalition’s so-called campaign against the ISIL terrorist group intentionally destroyed 90 percent of Syria’s town of Raqqa.
“This coalition has deliberately destroyed 90 percent of the city of Raqqa,” Jaafari said, adding that this coalition has not felt to uphold its commitment to neutralize the mines left behind by the ISIL.
The statement follows the February 12 press release by the advocacy group Human Rights Watch, saying that landmines planted by the ISIL terrorist group in Raqqa killed or wounded hundreds of civilians, including more than 150 children.
The actual number of victims was surely higher, as many people died before reaching medical assistance and those deaths were not necessarily reported, the release added.
As the release defined, the ISIL planted scores of antipersonnel mines in Raqqa before US-led forces liberated the city, including mines, booby traps or improvised explosive devices (IEDs), and most appeared to be victim-activated and therefore banned under international law.
H/t reader Squodgy:
“The peasants are revolting, they are sick of being killed by yanks.”
* * *