German minister: Women do not go alone on New Year’s Eve, but in groups https://t.co/k7pQJGxYzi
— Voice of Europe (@V_of_Europe) December 30, 2017
Minister of the Interior Herbert Reul, of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, has advised women to visit New Year’s Eve celebrations in groups.
North Rhine-Westphalia is the most populous state in Germany and Cologne is its largest city. During New Year’s Eve 2015 – 2016, at least 500 women were sexually assaulted in Cologne, by 1,400 mostly migrant men.
The 65-year-old CDU politician said about this year’s celebrations:
“I would say to my three daughters: If possible, do not go alone, but in groups… When it starts to get dangerous, you make a loud noise and if all this does not help, call the 110 as soon as possible – rather too much than too little.”
Reul assured that the state’s police have made the necessary arrangements to enable safe New Year’s Eve celebrations. Everything was done to prevent the situation that happened two years ago, the minister said.
In Cologne alone, there will be 1,400 police officers are in action. In a “New Year’s Eve Decree” the minister set special safety standards.
Earlier this week, a Berlin NYE party organiser said, special safety and protection zones were created for women who experienced sexual assault or sexual harassment.
* * *