– After Conducting Navy Drills In East Mediterranean, Russia Puts Airborne Troops In Volgograd On Alert (ZeroHedge, Feb 16, 2015):
While the latest Ukraine “ceasefire” is all but dead following such headlines as:
- Kiev security forces open fire on DPR, LPR republics’ positions – Basurin
- Fighting Strains Ukraine Truce; Russia Criticizes EU Blacklist
- Battle rages for town where Ukraine rebels reject ceasefire
… perhaps a better question is what just what is Russia doing in the East Mediterranean (as in close by to both Greece and Cyprus) where as Interfax reported earlier, the Russian navy conducted tests. Bloomberg adds that the “Russian Navy vessels fire artillery rounds at sea, air training targets as part of tests in eastern part of Mediterranean, Interfax reports, citing statement by Defense Ministry.”
This happens hours after Interfax also reported that the Russian Air Force conducted a practice bombing drill in the south of Russia, in which about 10 airplanes took part.
And finally, moments ago, Interfax (and Bloomberg) made it a trifecta when it reported that
- RUSSIA PUTS AIRBORNE TROOPS ON ALERT IN VOLGOGRAD REGION: IFX
- ASSAULT LANDING UNIT OF AIRBORNE TROOPS ALERTED IN VOLGOGRAD REGION
As a reminder, Volgograd is about 150 miles east of Ukraine.
As a further reminder, over the weekend German Der Spiegel warned, citing former Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov “Now the threat of a war is higher than during the Cold War.” Perhaps events such as these further escalating into an out of control cascade is precisely what he was referring to.