– New York, New Jersey Consider Mandatory Quarantines In Ebola Response (ZeroHedge, Oct 24, 2014):
Despite the constant confirmation that New York “is prepared, and has been prepared for months” for an Ebola outbreak, it appears Governor Cuomo and NJ’s Christie are more concerned than they are letting on. Having earlier admitted that the CDC’s screening guidelines are “insufficient” for New York regions’ population density, Reuters reports that Cuomo and Christie are considering “enhanced screening” where “all healthcare workers will mandatorily quarantined.” Cue “state of emergency” proclamation and civili liberties ‘interrupted’...
- *EBOLA SCREENING WILL BE STRENGTHENED AT NY AIRPORTS, SAYS CNBC
- *NY AIRPORT SCREENING WILL GO BEYOND CDC REQUIREMENTS: CNBC
- *NY AIRPORTS TO QUARANTINE ALL HC WORKERS FROM HI RISK NATIONS
- *JFK, NEWARK TO HAVE ADDITIONAL SCREENING FOR EBOLA: CHRISTIE
- *STEPS INCLUDE MANDATORY QUARANTINE FOR MED. SERVICE PROVIDERS
- *MEDICS BACK FROM EBOLA COUNTRIES TO BE QUARANTINED: CHRISTIE
- *NEWARK, JFK HEALTH DEPTS.TO DETERMINE QUARANTINE NEEDS:CHRISTIE
* * *
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Friday that he and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie are planning to increase current screening procedures for people travelling from Ebola-affected regions.
Depending on an individual’s risk level—exposure to infected individuals and countries visited—a mandatory 21-day quarantine could be instituted, Cuomo said.
All medical workers from Ebola-affected countries will be subject to a quarantine, said Dr. Howard Zucker, acting commissioner of health for New York State. Cuomo said voluntary quarantine is not sufficient, and that it is “almost an oxymoron.”
“In an region like this, you go out one, two, or three times—you ride the subway, you ride a bus—you could affect hundreds and hundreds of people,” Cuomo added.
“There is no reason for undue concern or undo anxiety under this situation,” the New York governor said. “I believe this adjustment and increasing the screening procedures is necessary. I think it reduces the risk to New Yorkers and the residents of New Jersey.”
Christie indicated that authorities have already stopped one traveler in Newark.
Cuomo said that he and Christie believe it is a state’s right to protect their borders, and he indicated that the governors have been in touch with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He added he believed the CDC’s procedures are “not rigorous enough.”
Christie said the measures are “necessary to protect public health.”
“CDC’s guidance is continually changing, and we need to set a standard for our two states,” Christie said. These new procedures have already been put in place at the Port Authority airports, Cuomo said.
And so it begins…
* * *
Additionally, Congressman Hakeem Jeffries (NY-8) released the following statement in the aftermath of the first confirmed case of Ebola in New York:
“In the wake of the first confirmed case of Ebola in New York City, the Obama administration must reassess the strength of the measures put into place to protect the health and safety of our residents. All options should be on the table in the fight against Ebola, including a possible ban on nonessential travel originating in the source West African nations.”
* * *
If there is a major Ebola pandemic in America, all of the liberties and the freedoms that you currently enjoy would be gone. If government officials believe that you have the virus, federal law allows them to round you up and detain you “for such time and in such manner as may be reasonably necessary.” In addition, the CDC already has the authority to quarantine healthy Americans if they reasonably believe that they may become sick. During an outbreak, the government can force you to remain isolated in your own home, or the government may forcibly take you to a treatment facility, a tent city, a sports stadium, an old military base or a camp. You would not have any choice in the matter. And you would be forced to endure any medical procedure mandated by the government. That includes shots, vaccines and the drawing of blood. During such a scenario, you can scream about your “rights” all that you want, but it won’t do any good.
In case you are tempted to think that I am making this up, I want you to read what federal law actually says. The following is 42 U.S.C. 264(d). I have added bold for emphasis…
(1) Regulations prescribed under this section may provide for the apprehension and examination of any individual reasonably believed to be infected with a communicable disease in a qualifying stage and (A) to be moving or about to move from a State to another State; or (B) to be a probable source of infection to individuals who, while infected with such disease in a qualifying stage, will be moving from a State to another State. Such regulations may provide that if upon examination any such individual is found to be infected, he may be detained for such time and in such manner as may be reasonably necessary. For purposes of this subsection, the term “State” includes, in addition to the several States, only the District of Columbia.
(2) For purposes of this subsection, the term “qualifying stage”, with respect to a communicable disease, means that such disease—
(A) is in a communicable stage; or
(B) is in a precommunicable stage, if the disease would be likely to cause a public health emergency if transmitted to other individuals.
In addition, as I discussed above, the CDC already has the authority to isolate people that are not sick to see if they do become sick. The following is what the CDC website says about this…
Quarantine is used to separate and restrict the movement of well persons who may have been exposed to a communicable disease to see if they become ill. These people may have been exposed to a disease and do not know it, or they may have the disease but do not show symptoms. Quarantine can also help limit the spread of communicable disease.
* * *
Welcome to the new normal American police state.
* * *
Don’t worry though – as this TV anchor says – just don’t eat Ebola-infected shit!!!