– “Fukushima, the world’s permanent headache” — Gundersen: It will be bleeding into Pacific for next 100 years — ABC: “Greatest nuclear contamination of the ocean in history… it can’t be quantified… it’s a global issue” (AUDIO) (ENENews, June 10, 2014):
Radio VR, June 9, 2014: Fukushima, the world’s permanent headache […] Arnie Gundersen, a veteran nuclear engineer and director of Fairewinds Energy Education: “What the water did do is it went into the ground and is moving downward into groundwater, which will get to the ocean shortly. […] The site is going to bleed into the ocean for a hundred years. […] They have contaminated the entire groundwater underneath the site and eventually, all of that water will move into the Pacific.” >> Full broadcast here
ABC Radio (Australia), June 9, 2014:
- Mark Willacy, ABC correspondent: [The ice wall project] shows you just how dire the situation is… This has never happened before… This is the greatest nuclear contamination of the ocean in history… [The amount released into ocean] can’t be quantified. It’s incredible amounts.
- Steve Austin, Host: Don’t eat the fish oil caplets that come from the Pacific.
- Willacy: If it doesn’t work we’re really back to square one… it is the great last hope that Tepco has and, I believe, the government. If it doesn’t work, I don’t think anyone knows how to solve this problem.
- Willacy: It is a global issue.
- Full ABC interview available here