WASHINGTON – Exasperated by stalled Middle East peace talks in a season of tumultuous change, President Barack Obama jolted close ally Israel Thursday by embracing the Palestinians’ terms for drawing the borders of their new nation next door. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel rejected the idea as “indefensible” on the eve of his vital White House meeting with Obama.
The U.S. president said that an independent Palestine should be based on 1967 borders — before the Six Day War in which Israel occupied East Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza — as adjusted by possible land swaps agreed upon by both sides. He said Israel can never live in true peace as a Jewish state if it insists on “permanent occupation.”
– Obama’s speech a ‘historic shift’ on Israel and Palestine? No. (The Christian Science Monitor):
If you’ve read the lead story in The New York Times on President Barack Obama’s Middle East speech this afternoon, you’re probably under the impression that the president has taken a bold new step to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The first paragraph of the story, filed from Washington, is quite dramatic. Obama, “seeking to harness the seismic political change unfolding in the Arab world… publicly called for the borders prevailing before the 1967 Israeli-Arab war to be the baseline for a settlement of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the first time an American president has explicitly taken that position.”
The only problem is, it’s not much of a shift at all.The key word in that opening paragraph is that word “explicitly.” What it means in this context, is that he said something that multiple presidents have said before him, but with slightly weaker language. What did he say? “The borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines with mutually agreed swaps, so that secure and recognized borders are established for both states.”
That an eventual settlement would be based around borders from before the 1967 war, with land “swaps” of some kind to reflect the growth of Israeli settlements in the West Bank, has been a central assumption behind the peace process kicked off under President Bill Clinton in the early 1990s and pursued with subtle variations by presidents George W. Bush and Obama after him. Last year, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told reporters, amid a push to restart peace talks that failed, that a solution could be found that “reconciles the Palestinian goal of an independent and viable state based on the 1967 lines, with agreed swaps, and the Israeli goal of a Jewish state with secure and recognized borders.”
What wasn’t in Obama’s speech was anything new on how you get from here (complete dysfunction – it’s a “process” by convention only at this point) to there (peace). He made no mention of the settlement freeze his administration had pushed for – and failed to get – in return for restored talks with the Palestinian leadership. He also sought to shoot down Palestinian efforts to win recognition for an independent state at the United Nations, something the Palestinian Authority has been gearing up for in September.
More on Israel:
And Helen Thomas is spot on:
– Traitor Joe Biden on Shalom TV: ‘I am a ZIONIST’
– Former Assistant Secretary of the Treasury Paul Craig Roberts: ‘AIPAC Owns The US Puppet Government’
– A Hebrew Israeli radio station, Kol Yisrael, on October 3rd 2001 reported that during an argument in an Israeli cabinet meeting, Shimon Peres warned Prime Minister Ariel Sharon that unless he would heed American requests for a cease fire with the Palestinians, he could cause America to turn against Israel. In a fit of anger, Sharon responded to Peres:
“Every time we do something you tell me America will do this and will do that . . . I want to tell you something very clear: Don’t worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it.”
– U.S. Senator William Fulbright said on CBS’s Face the Nation, that, “Israel controls the U.S. Senate.”
– Mossad Agent ‘Brought Down Egypt’s Internet’ (Telegraph)
– Gilad Atzmon: Jews, Judaism and Jewishness (Gilad Atzmon)
– Israel: Work Begins on Egypt Barrier (Reuters)
– Gaza War Lies Vs. Facts (YouTube)
– Influential Rabbi Ovadia Yosef: Non-Jews Are Donkeys, Created To Serve Jews (Jerusalem Post)
– Israel Paves Way For Remote Control Killing (The National)
– Exposed: The Truth About Israel’s Land Grab In The West Bank (The Independent)
– President Abdullah Gul: Turkey will ‘never forgive’ Israel (Al Jazeera)
– Israeli soldiers murder at least 10 civilians on boat carrying aid to Gaza (Los Angeles Times)
– Gaza Aid Flotilla Delayed After Mystery Faults Hit Two Boats (Independent)
Dr. Alan Sabrosky, former director of studies at the US Army War College says that the military brass now know that Israel “and those traitors within our nation” committed the 911 attack.
……”I have had long conversations over the last two weeks with contacts at the Army War College and the headquarters, Marine Corps and I’ve made it absolutely clear in both cases that it is 100% certain that 9/11 was a Mossad operation.” Period.
– Israel Threatening To Use Nuclear Weapons On Iran! (FOX NEWS)
– Palestinian children are stoned while walking to school (Christian Peacemaker Teams)
– U.S. shipped 989 munitions containers to Israel week before Gaza invasion (Australien Herald)
– Israel’s war crimes in Gaza (Independent)
– Did Israeli soldiers kill unarmed civilians? (Toronto Star):
‘The most moral army in the world’ killed civilians without cause
– Israeli soldiers report abuses in Gaza (Los Angeles Times)
– Gaza building apparently hit by phosphorus: UN (Vancouver Sun)
– Israel used phosphorus in heavily populated areas, doctors charge (Kansas City Star)
– Israel shelled UK war graves in Gaza (Telegraph)